27/10/2013

Ideas

How do you get your ideas? The short answer: no clue!
Sometimes it feels a bit like schizophrenia, 'a voice in my head' says that would be nice! I often have a ready-made ideas in my head that only needs to be executed.

'But' you should not take it too hard, as it often happens that while designing lots changes are made (and often it's still a lot of work!). Happy accidents*, realize that something is not working or get a better idea meanwhile. The process from idea to product is not a straight line but rather a children's scribble with various colors.

As a designer, I always look around me, absorb inspiration and make mental notes of things I like. I think the 'voice in my head' is the conclusion. At some point all the pieces fall together and creates a realization. If I merge those and give my own spin to it, it can be something beautiful. Or, I've never seen anything like it, maybe I should design it?

I also don't have a specific taste, so products can really vary. I like to design for kids, with lovely illustrations and cute dolls. But I can also appreciate very graphic, with crisp text and bright colors. Why I sometimes go for the one and other times for the other, depends on the target audience. Who am I going to create something for? Clean letters can be nice, but a 4 year old girl will not like it very much, and vice versa.

For some creative people this will be very recognizable, for others it might work differently. The process is different for everyone, like all children scribbles are different.

* A happy accident for example is when you draw a wrong line with pen, a wrong color, make a mess, etcetera, and it accidentally looks very nice (and you'll use it).

No comments:

Post a Comment