19/01/2014

Sources

A though one: should you reveal your sources. Opinions on this are divided, and rightly so.

It’s better for costumer not know how much it costs to have something made, because they’ll only see that price and will feel ripped off by the price they have to pay for it. But they don’t take in account all the time and money you spend to design, promote, wrap, ship, etcetera.

For me personal it varies what I make of my design, it depends on:
> My budget at the time I’m ordering it (the more you order, the cheaper they get a piece, but of course you’ll have to spend more).
> What demands I have for the quality (for example, the thicker of paper is often better, but also often not interesting because it gets too expensive).
> If it’s black and white or color (to compare, the planner were way more expensive to print, because they’re completely full color as opposed to the diary for lazy people, that only has a full color cover, but black and white inside).
> The price of the product (the profit of a postcard not as much as the friends book for grown ups). So with some products it’s € 0,50 per sale and others € 3,00.
> If I offer it in wholesale (some products are too expensive to have made, so I only sell them in my own shop and with other products it is possible).

Besides all that you of course also want to distinguish yourself from your competitors. So if they ask where you have something done/made, so you tell them? Chances are they follow your advice and then you’re the same.

There isn’t really a right answer, you have to do what feels right. I’m generally really open about my sources, to persons and businesses. I believe in what you send out, you will receive back in threefold. Because I have this attitude, it’s also possible for me to ask others.

This applies mostly to outsourcing, so printer offices and such. The exception is when you use an unique technique or method. Do you create something only you know how? Keep it to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment