26/01/2014

Collaboration

A collaboration can be anything. I often consider working with a client more as a collaboration, because we’re working together to make something nice. But also when I buy products from other designers for my shop, when shops buy from me and of course literally: collaborating to create something. I like it, because there can be many advantages, like:

THE OTHER MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO SOMETHING YOU CAN'T
As a creative you have your skills, but you can’t do everything! So by collaborating you can increase you range of products and realize ideas you probably couldn’t on your own.
Example: I work with Tattly. I designed a temporary tattoo which they sell in their shop. I couldn’t have done that on my own.

YOU CAN DO MORE TOGETHER
Do you have an idea for a project, but don’t do it because it’s just too much work for one person? When you can spread the workload over more people, it can be possible!
Example: I’ve had an idea for a (dutch) DIY magazine for ages, but didn’t want to do it on my own. Now I’m working together with Anne and Nikki and made it possible! (Maak Magazine)

INCREASE BRAND AWARENESS
As a designer you might be specialized in something, or are very all round. But when you start a project that is completely different, it can be awesome, but no one will see it! Another person in that niche can help you. This works both ways.
Example: I love designing for kids and my dream job would be to create something for kids that are in the hospital/sick. So when Babyboek voor Prematuren asked if I wanted to collaborate with them, I of course said yes! It’s not exactly what I had in mind, but it’s in the right direction. Together we’re working on products for premature baby (’s parents). They could use my skills and if I would’ve done this on my own, it would’ve have worked, because I have no idea how to reach the target audience! So this is a great collaboration for all of us.

IT CAN BE REALLY FUN!
Two or more people can complement each other, personally of style-wise. So a collaboration can be really fun!
Example: The planners I create, like the Crazy Cat Lady planner and Pretty in Pink planner aren’t only really fun to do, but also connected me with various creative people and even made some friends!

BUT ALSO, TO KEEP IN MIND
> Make sure you don’t end up doing everything on your own and the other person is only enjoying the fame.
> Make clear agreements. You both/all need to know what your rights and duties are so there’s no confusion. You might be so thrilled to get started and skip that part, but you might regret that later on (so do it!).
> Is the collaboration not fun anymore or useful for you? Get out. Get over the sense of obligation, because it needs to be fun for you both.

No comments:

Post a Comment