02/04/2016

Panda

Sandra from Hipgemaakt asked me to draw a panda, for new mini garlands. Before I started I checked out the most populair (and well known) panda's of the moment, to make sure I didn't accidentally copied them. These were from A Little Lovely Company (balloon), Studio Inktvis and Eef Lillemor (last 2).




Next I started drawing. I was a bit sick, so I drew on paper in stead of the computer (which I normally do). The first sketches didn't really make happy..



... until I doodled this one.



It made me think of Tara panda, didn't it look to much like that? Had to google for a bit, because I didn't remember the name, but I found one and luckily it didn't lookalike (too much).




The next day I digitized him. I turned the panda more symmetrical, which is pretty much always more pleasing to the eyes.


But it wasn't right yet, so I continued sketching.. It started with a simple design, but I couldn't help myself and added various expressions. I also wanted to draw him from the back (cute tail!), but just standing there would be boring, so I made him dance.



I showed the character design to Sandra and she liked it, so I created this mini garland.



What's so fun about the mini garlands, besides the cuteness, it that you can cut them in various shapes. On the back you can find dotted lines (and circles you can cut so you can lace them on a string) to make the garlands even móre fun.



But it didn't stop there! After sharing, everyone reacted really enthusiastic and especially to the dancing panda. So Sandra asked me to create another garland with just this panda. I though it would be fun to create a mini print/XL postcard (A5), so I started with that. This way I could see better if the variations was enough (because they're on the same surface).





And I was so happy with the design I continued with a sticker sheet (grey lines are not part of the design, this is where the stickers will be cut), notepad and birthday calendar.



Sandra loved it, so... most of the designs will soon be available at Hipgemaakt! (dutch shop)


In the meantime the panda remains in the back of my mind and even appears in my doodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment